Key information
- Address:
- Maryborough 3465
- Opened:
- 1 May 1872
- Closed:
- 31 December 1932
- School type:
- Primary
- School number:
- 1077
- Other names:
- Chinaman's Creek Common School, Chinaman's Creek State School
How to find enrolment and other school records
If the school is open: contact the school directly to access records.
If the school has closed: contact the Archives and Records branch via email archives.records@education.vic.gov.au or 1800 359 140 and they will assist you.
The history of Woodbrook State School
1870s
The school opened as common school in 1872. It was known as Chinaman's Flat School at the time. It replaced Chinaman's Creek School (No. 842).
The schoolhouse was brick and stone with a porch and shingle roof.
The first head teacher was John Hocking.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
1891
The school was renamed to Woodbrook State School in 1891.
1899
There were 20 students enrolled at the school in 1899.
1909
Woodbrook had low student numbers so it became a part-time school. It shared its only teacher with Glenluce State School (No. 771), and the teacher split their time between both schools.
1913
The school closed in 1913 when only 5 students were enrolled.
1918
There were enough students for the school to reopen in 1918.
1932
Woodbrook State School closed in 1932.
Find more information about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
PROV currently only have paper records for this school.
Updated