Key information
- Address:
- Heathcote 3523
- Opened:
- 1 January 1872
- Closed:
- 31 December 1922
- School type:
- Primary
- School number:
- 1085
- Other names:
- Wild Duck Common School
How to find enrolment and other school records
If the school is open: contact the school directly to access records.
If the school has closed: contact the Archives and Records branch via email archives.records@education.vic.gov.au or 1800 359 140 and they will assist you.
The history of Wild Duck State School
1870s
Wild Duck opened as a common school in 1872. The head teacher was John Dunstan and there were around 25 local children.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
A house was built for the head teacher in 1874.
1885
Because student numbers were low, the school became part-time.
Wild duck shared a teacher with Langwornor State School (No. 2385). The teacher taught across both schools.
1893
Wild Duck closed and all the students moved to Langwornor.
1902
Wild Duck reopened part-time in 1902. The teacher, C.V. Cecil, taught at both Wild Duck and Murray Rd State School (No.1522).
1903
Wild Duck operated full time again. The head teacher was Mary Horne.
1914
A storm destroyed the schoolhouse in 1914. Until a new schoolhouse was built, classes were held in a local hotel.
1922
Wild Duck State School closed in 1922.
Find more information about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
PROV currently only have paper records for this school.
Updated