The school opened in January 1873 as a state school. It was known as Emerald Hill, Nelson Street (No. 1181) at the time. The first head teacher was James Smith. Classes were held in the Mechanics Institute and the orderly room at the army barracks.
1874
A new school that could accommodate 1000 students was proposed in 1874. It was built on Bridport Street in Albert Park.
1886
The number of students enrolled increased to 1400. Three rooms in the Wesleyan Hall on Cardigan Place were leased for classes.
1914
An infant school was opened in 1910 to teach younger children.
1967
The number of students enrolled in 1967 was 450. South Melbourne High School used the classrooms on the second floor during this time.
1970
The school was renamed Albert Park Primary School in 1970.
Alber Park Primary School building in 1970. Source:
Committee for Urban Action and the State Library of Victoria
2022
Albert Park Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.