Key information
- Address:
- Reedy Creek 3658
- Opened:
- 1 February 1871
- Closed:
- 31 December 1885
- School type:
- Primary
- School number:
- 986
- Other names:
- Reedy Creek Common School
How to find enrolment and other school records
If the school is open: contact the school directly to access records.
If the school has closed: contact the Archives and Records branch via email archives.records@education.vic.gov.au or 1800 359 140 and they will assist you.
The history of Reedy Creek State School
1870s
Reedy Creek opened as a common school in 1871. The first head teacher was John Stewart.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
A new schoolhouse was built in 1879. There were 32 students at the school. The head teacher was J. McCarthy.
1882
Because student numbers were low, the school became part-time and Reedy Creek shared a teacher with Broadford North State School (No. 1897). It shared its only teacher with Broadford North and the teacher split their time between both schools.
1885
Reedy Creek State School closed in 1885.
There were only 8 students at the school when it closed. They moved to Upper Reedy Creek State School (No. 2234) which was around 5 km away.
Find more information about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
PROV currently only have paper records for this school.
Updated