Key information
- Address:
- Old Tarnagulla Road, Newbridge, 3551
- Opened:
- 1 January 1861
- Closed:
- 31 December 1993
- School type:
- Primary
- School number:
- 457
- Other names:
- Newbridge School, Newbridge Common School, Newbridge State School, Newbridge Primary School
The history of Newbridge Primary School
1861
Newbridge opened in 1861 under head teacher, Antony Lester.
It was on the Loddon River in the Newbridge township, west of Bendigo.
Newbridge was a prosperous goldmining town with a population of approximately 5,000.
The town once had seven hotels, a flour mill, a cheese factory, two breweries, five churches and several private schools.
The teacher's house was a two-storey Swiss chalet style building.
The house is one of three similar buildings erected for teachers at the time. This was under the director of the Minister of Public Instruction, Arthur Otto Sachse.
1960s to 1980s
One of the two classrooms were demolished in the 1960s to build a new room.
The new school room was first used in 1964.
Workers discovered a bottle under the old building with newspaper clippings from 16 March 1867.
Newbridge Primary School between 1970 and 1999. (Source: J.T. Collins Collection, La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria) School Master residence at Newbridge Primary School in 1980. (Source: J.T. Collins Collection, La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria) 1993
The school closed in 1993 due to declining enrolments.
1996
The building and Swiss chalet were sold in 1996.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.
Updated