The school opened as a national school in 1853. It was called Plenty School when it opened.
The first teacher was Thomas Noble and his wife also taught at the school. 46 students were enrolled.
1862
The school became a common school in 1862.
1864
The name of the school changed to Morang Common School.
1870s
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
A teacher's residence was added in 1877.
1900
The name of the school changed again to Mernda State School.
1970
The school was renamed Mernda Primary School in 1970.
1976
The school building on Plenty Road was too small for the over 100 students enrolled. It did not have town water and only had three toilets.
A new 4 classroom building opened on Johnson's Road in 1976.
1979
Mernda Primary School building in 1979. Source: John T. Collins and the State Library of Victoria
2011
The school moved sites again in 2011 to Everton Drive. The brand new school could accommodate up to 450 students.
2022
Mernda Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.