Key information
- Address:
- Eureka Street, Ballarat East, 3350
- Opened:
- 1 November 1870
- Closed:
- 31 December 1993
- School type:
- Primary
- School number:
- 1071
- Other names:
- Specimen Hill, Specimen Hill Common School, Ballarat (Eureka Street), Ballarat Common School
The history of Eureka Primary School
1854
The school was opened by the Ballarat Free Church School (Presbyterian) in 1854.
It was originally called Specimen Hill. It opened just 3 years after gold was discovered in the Ballarat area.
The first head teacher was John McIver. There were 76 students enrolled in the first year (42 girls and 32 boys).
1856
In 1856 funding was received for a new school building.
1857
William Mitchell became the new head teacher in 1857.
1862
In 1862 Frederick Stocks was appointed head teacher and Mary McDonald as assistant teacher.
1869
In 1869 the school became a common school.
The school property was transferred from the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria to the Board of Education.
1870s
In 1870 the school became known as Specimen Hill, Ballarat, under the new school number 1071.
By 1877 the school was described as a brick building, with a very old three-room hardwood building behind.
The wooden building was in very bad repair. The Minister of Education, the Honourable W C Smith announced in 1879 that the school would be extended and renovated.
The new school would be able to accommodate 350 students.
1880
The new school was opened in 1880, by the Honourable Robert Ramsay.
He was the Chief Secretary and Minister of Public Instruction.
1900s
Between 1906 and 1909 the school was remodelled and extended to include an office and drill hall.
1960s
The classroom floors were replaced in 1960.
Additional classrooms were added in 1962 and 1965.
1990s
The school closed in 1993 when it was combined with Ballarat Primary School No. 4981 and Golden Point Primary School No. 1493 to form a new school.
The new school, Canadian Lead Primary School No. 5383, opened in 1994 is still teaching today.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what info PROV have on this school.
Updated